Te Reo, Term 4 2016.
This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marea is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focussed on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
They are customs(way of doing things)
Is a welcoming ceremony on the marae
When locals go to marae and are connected to it either through genealogy or by association.
Visitors and guests to a marae
A place you feel at home and can feel safe.
Relationship, Sense of family connection(belonging)
A care for person/s well being and health
Means Love.This comes under respect,concern ect;
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is How the marae came to place and who were the creators of it?